Student protesters at Davis had set up an encampment in the university’s quad area earlier this month as part of the nationwide Occupy movement against economic inequality and excesses of the financial system.
Their demonstrations, which had been endorsed by a faculty association, included protests against tuition increases and what they viewed as police brutality on University of California campuses in response to recent protests.
The students had set up roughly 25 tents in a quad area, but they had been asked not to stay overnight and were told they would not be able to stay during the weekend, due to a lack of university resources, Katehi said.
Some protesters took their tents down voluntarily while others stayed. The pepper spray incident appeared to take place on Friday afternoon, when campus police moved in to forcibly evict the protesters.
Katehi said on Friday she was “saddened” by the manner in which protesters were removed from the quad, and on Saturday announced a task force of faculty, students and staff to investigate the incident.
My take on it: Economical Inequality is inequality to life. And is a fundamental human right, guaranteed by the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Read more about it, and find out what are your rights, guaranteed by the Organization of the United Nations at: http://www.hrweb.org/legal/undocs.html
- UC Davis Police Brutally Pepper Spray Student Protesters [Video] (sfist.com)
- UC Davis will probe use of pepper-spray on student protesters – Reuters (reuters.com)
- Video Spreads of UC Davis Cops Pepper Spraying Occupy Students (2012indyinfo.com)
- UC Davis will probe use of pepper-spray on student protesters (news.yahoo.com)
- UC Davis chief launches probe into pepper-spraying of protesters – Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)
- Eyewitness account of pepper-spraying officer from UC Davis student: “Stop. No. I want to spray these kids.” (boingboing.net)
- Video: UC Davis Police Casually Pepper Spray Sitting Protesters (kaystreet.wordpress.com)