Chopin dedicated this work to his older sister, Ludwika Chopin, with the statement: “To my sister Ludwika as an exercise before beginning the study of my second Concerto“. First published 26 years after the composer’s death, the piece is usually referred to as Lento con gran espressione, from its tempo marking. It is sometimes also called Reminiscence. The piece was famously played by Holocaust survivor Natalia Karp for the Nazi concentration camp commandant Amon Goeth, with Goeth being so impressed with the rendition, that he spared Karp’s life.
- The Nocturne is featured in the Roman Polanski film The Pianist. It is played twice (both times incompletely) in the film, at the beginning and at the end, by the protagonist Władysław Szpilman, at the recording studio at WarsawRadio. The complete piece is provided in the soundtrack, played by Polish classical pianist Janusz Olejniczak.
- It is also featured in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, in episode 7 of Season 1. Towards the end of the episode, Cameron ballets to the piece.
- Classically trained R&B/Soul singer Alicia Keys samples the piece in “As I Am (Intro)” from her 2007 album “As I Am“.
- A version played by violin is featured in the 2010 film The Karate Kid starring Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith.
- It is also featured in the 1997 action thriller The Peacemaker (with George Clooney and Nicole Kidman) at 1:02:42.>>>>>>>>>>>>>MORE HERE