Tools to Make Word Knowledge Easier
YourDictionary has free browser tools, widgets and more so you can easily access the full power of YourDictionary.
Word lists are a handy tool to store spelling words, new words you want to learn and words you want to remember.
With the word list tool you can:
- Create a word list with your own words and a custom title and description.
- Choose to either share your list (make your list available to all YourDictionary readers) or make your list private (only you can access your word list).
- Easily edit or delete words to update your lists to your current needs.
- Quickly find top rated word lists created by other students and teachers.
- Follow and use word lists created by your teacher or parent or other YourDictionary readers.
Word lists are a great tool for students to build vocabulary and capture spelling words; and, they are helpful for teachers when preparing vocabulary study tools and homework assignments.
Flash cards are fun-to-use vocabulary tools that are built-in to any word list you can see. They are a great way to test your knowledge about the words on a word list.
The flash card shows the word on one side and the definition and examples on the reverse. Flash cards are versatile; so, you can customize how you use them.
For example, you can:
- Choose what information you want to show on the reverse side of the flash card – the definition, a sentence example or an image (when available).
- Use your flash cards to study and test yourself about the words on your word list.
- Work with another student, adult, parent or teacher who will work through the flash cards, asking you to spell, define and give an example of each word on your flash cards.
If you like to play word games you will find the tools at Word Finder to be the easiest way to get a little help to find the perfect word.
- Scrabble Word Finder – You can enter your tiles and find the highest scoring word from your available tiles.
- Words With Friends Cheat – You can scan the dictionary for words made from your available letters, sorted by word length and base points.
- Scrabble Dictionary – This handy tool searches to see if a word you specify is an accepted Scrabble word, and it provides the points and the definition. You can even see what other Scrabble words you can make with your tiles.
- 4 Pics 1 Word Answers – You just enter your letters and select the length of word you are looking for. Word Finder will scan the dictionary and deliver a complete alphabetical list of possible answers for the letters and word length you entered.
- Helpful Word Lists for Playing Scrabbleand Words With Friends – You can view lists of words that meet a certain criteria such as words that start or end with a certain letter, words that contain a certain letter or words of a certain length.
The YourDictionary bookmarklet is a handy button that you can push whenever you want to see the definition of a word on any web page (not just on YourDictionary!). You just place the bookmarklet on your bookmark bar (the space underneath the url). It can be used with any browser.
To install the YD bookmarklet, just drag the orange YourDictionary button into your browser bookmark bar.
To use the bookmarklet, all you need to do is:
- Highlight a word on any web page.
- Click the YourDictionary bookmarklet.
- A popup window shows you the definition of the word on YourDictionary. If you don’t highlight a word before you clicked the bookmarklet, you can type in a word in the popup window.
For even more direct access to all the features you love on YourDictionary, check out our toolbar. The YourDictionary toolbar delivers quick-click access to YourDictionary’s robust search where you’ll find definitions you can understand, PLUS:
- Sentence examples
- Specialty dictionaries
- Grammar rules and tips
- Biographies, famous quotes and more!
- Word Finder help for word games such as Scrabble, Words With Friends and 4 Pics 1 Word
To install the YourDictionary toolbar just click on the “Download Our Toolbar” button.