Tag Archives: Allergy

this pressed for your safety: Christmas decorations that could kill you


Christmas decorations that could kill you

Christmas decorations that could kill you

Keep these potentially deadly decorations out of reach of pets and children… and very curious adults.

iStock

Let’s face it: even as an adult, shiny objects are pretty enticing. Now just imagine how wondrous they seem to children and animals. While tinsel isn’t toxic, it can cause problems if ingested, especially for pets, as the foreign object could twist and tangle up in their intestines.

iStock

Though they are less toxic to humans than once believed, poinsettias can cause extreme discomfort when ingested. If your toddler has a bite, it can cause a mild stomachache, diarrhea, and vomiting. It is likely that people with a latex allergy will be allergic to poinsettias as well, since they both share similar proteins, and a severe reaction shouldn’t be treated lightly. Animals that nibble on these plants will likely experience mouth and stomach irritation and occasional vomiting.

via Christmas decorations that could kill you.

NEWS: PEANUT ALLERGY TRIAL SUCCESS


Peanut Allergy Trial Success

When it comes to food allergiespeanut allergies are the most deadly, but perhaps not for long. A clinical trial involving 85 children with peanut allergies successfully increased the tolerance of 84% to five peanuts a day after six months. At the start of the trial, participants were given a daily dose of peanut protein powder equivalent to one 70th of a peanut, too little to initiate an allergic reaction. Over the course of the study, the dose was slowly increased under careful medical observation, desensitizing most of the children to small amounts of peanuts. More… Discuss

 

Enhanced by Zemanta