Tag Archives: ingestion

MAGNET DANGER HAS GROWN IN US


Magnet Danger Has Grown in US

There has been a dramatic uptick in the number of US kids ending up in the emergency room after swallowingmagnets. In 2002, just one child in 200,000 went to the hospital for ingesting magnets, but by 2010, the incident rate had risen to six in 200,000. Ingesting multiple magnets or one magnet along with other metal objects can be deadly, as they can be drawn to one another within the body, even when separated by internal tissue. This can lead to pinching or evenperforation of the tissue. More… Discuss

 

News: PLASTIC IN PACIFIC INCREASED 100-FOLD


Plastic in Pacific Increased 100-Fold

Over the past 40 years, the quantity of plastic waste floating in thenortheastern Pacific has increased 100-fold, affecting marine life in myriad ways. One issue that has received much attention is the ingestion of tiny, broken down plastic particles by marine organisms. However, researchers also recently uncovered another consequence of the increased presence of plastic—it is making it easier for certain marine insects to reproduce.Halobates sericeus requires a hard surface on which to lay its eggs, and the hundreds of millions of plastic particles now floating in the Pacific Ocean are providing them with ample breeding ground. More… Discuss