©All posts copyright
by George Bost
Hi welcome to EuZicAsa: Enjoy: Make this blog yours: Subscribe/rate/comment. Thank you&come back soon.
Subscribe To My YouTube Channel or SoundCoud Poems
- Watch “What A Wonderful World”Louis Armstrong on YouTube November 21, 2019
- Watch “Louis Armstrong-Go Down Moses” on YouTube November 21, 2019
- Watch “In the Upper Room” Mahalia Jackson on YouTube November 21, 2019
- Quote Winston Churchill: Never give in November 21, 2019
- Quote: Winston Churchill November 21, 2019
- Horoscope♉: 11/20/2019 November 20, 2019
- Today’s Holiday: Great American Smokeout November 20, 2019
- Today’s Birthday: Hetty Green (1834) November 20, 2019
- This Day in History: First Permanent ARPANET Link Is Established (1969) November 20, 2019
- Quote of the Day: L. Frank Baum November 20, 2019
- Article of the Day: The Bible Riots November 20, 2019
- Idiom of the Day: get in touch (with someone) November 20, 2019
- Word of the Day: bestride November 20, 2019
- Horoscope♉: 11/19/2019 November 19, 2019
- Today’s Holiday: Africa Industrialization Day November 19, 2019
- Today’s Birthday: Kenesaw Mountain Landis (1866) November 19, 2019
- This Day in History: Whaling Ship Essex Rammed by Whale (1820) November 19, 2019
- Quote of the Day: Francis Bacon November 19, 2019
- Article of the Day: Jacques Bénigne Bossuet November 19, 2019
- Idiom of the Day: get (the hell) out of Dodge November 19, 2019
- Word of the Day: overtop November 19, 2019
- Watch “Bettye Swann Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye” on YouTube November 19, 2019
- Watch “Fred Neil – A Little Bit Of Rain” on YouTube November 19, 2019
- Watch “The Animals – House of the Rising Sun (1964) + clip compilation 55 YEARS & counting” on YouTube November 19, 2019
- Watch “*FULL VERSION* TEOTFW – Walking All Day – Graham Coxon” on YouTube November 19, 2019
- Watch “Voilà – Françoise Hardy (1967)” on YouTube November 19, 2019
- Modern education systems…are nothing but modern November 19, 2019
- St. ANTHONY THE GREAT November 19, 2019
- Watch “Oscar Peterson Piano Lesson” on YouTube November 19, 2019
- Watch “Glenn Gould – Beethoven, Concerto No. 5 in E-flat major op.73 “Emperor” – Part 2 (OFFICIAL)” on YouTube November 19, 2019
Access Archived Postings
Search My Site
Top Posts & Pages
- Article of the Day: The Bible Riots
- This Day in History: First Permanent ARPANET Link Is Established (1969)
- Word of the Day: bestride
- Today's Birthday: Hetty Green (1834)
- Today's Holiday: Great American Smokeout
- Horoscope♉: 11/20/2019
- Quote: Winston Churchill
- Quote Winston Churchill: Never give in
- Idiom of the Day: get in touch (with someone)
- Quote of the Day: L. Frank Baum
Many A Choice:Arsenic Article of the Day ARTISTS AND ARTS - Music Arts Arts, Virtual Museums tour. Arts -Architecture Arts -Architecture, sculpture Asbestos toxicity AudioBooks biking BOOKS Daily Horoscope e-books ebola Educational English Grammar Environmental Health Causes Facebook FILM Fitness Fitness, running, biking, outdoors FOOD AND HEALTH GEOGRAPHY good foods Gougle+ Graphic Arts Haiku Hazardous Materials Exposure Health and Environment Idiom of the Day infections disease IN THE SPOTLIGHT Lead Toxicity Lyrics MEMORIES Mercury Toxicity MUSIC MY TAKE ON THINGS News ONE OF MY FAVORITE THINGS on the mundane side of the town outdoors Painting PEOPLE AND PLACES HISTORY PEOPLE AND PLACES HISTORY, GEOGRAPHY Pesticides Photography Poetry Poetry, Poets, Writers Poets QUOTATION Quote of the Day Radiation induced Cancer and death Radiation Poisoning running sculpture, sculptors SITE DEVELOPMENT Social Media SoundCloud Special Interest SPIRITUALITY surveillance This Day In History This Pressed (Press this) Today's Birthday today's Holiday Twitter Uncategorized Virtual Museums tour. Weather Whistle Blowers Word of the Day Writers Yoga YouTube/SoundCloud: Music YouTube/SoundCloud: Music, Special Interest
Share On Twitter
Easy SearchAllegro amp Antonín Dvořák art Arts -Architecture, sculpture Associated Press aviation Barack Obama Beethoven Business California Canada Catholic Church China Christianity Christmas Classical music climate England entertainment Environment EUZICASA Facebook France Franz Schubert Frédéric Chopin gaming Germany God Google Great Compositions/Performances Health History Israel Italy Japan Jesus Johannes Brahms Johann Sebastian Bach Leonard Cohen Literature London london symphony orchestra Ludwig van Beethoven Make Music Part of Your Life Series Middle East Mozart Music nature New York New York City Orchestra Paris Piano Politics Pope Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky robert schumann Rome Russia science Shopping Television Tempo transportation Twitter United States Valentina Lisitsa video Vienna wikipedia Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart World Literature World War II YouTube
Share This Post With AddThis:Share |
Visitors’ Country Flag:
Posts I Like
- 494,507 hits
Bathtub Bulletin access here
Chelsea Hotel #1
Translate This Post:
ONLINE REFERENCE: Dictionary, Encyclopedia & More…
Internet Archive: Digital Library (Universal Access to all Knowledge)
Island of Lonliness- Rie Sinclair
Gutenberg Project Find your Free eBooks online!
KUSC.org, CLassical FM 91.5
VEOH.TV: ENTERTAINMENT ONLINE FREE: Give it a try!
Lyrics to Your Fave Songs:
PLANET ROCK ONLINE RADIO
Actor Showcase: Check it out here!
Access Song meaning Herehttp://www.songmeanings.net/
The Google Art Project is here
Allspirit: poetry, quotations, song lyrics, writings
Wikiquote: Access from here
Jango (more than just an online radio….Get on it)
ProPublica Journalism in the Public InterestProPublica -"Jurnalism in the public interest" - Access from here
THE UNIVERSAL DECLARATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS
Constitution of the United States – access here
WebMD: Access from here
NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC CHANNEL (ACCESS FROM HERE)
OPEN LIBRARY IS YOURS: ACCESS HERE
Center for Effective Government (access site here)
ELECTRONIC FREEDOM FOUNDATION: ACCESS HERE
Vintage Music: Access from Here
NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC WEBSITE: ACCESS HERE
Legends of America – Visit here
FAMOUS POETS AND POEMS: ACCESS FROM HERE ANYTIME – ANYWHERE
kjazz 88.1 FM (CSU, Long Beach: ACCESS HERE)
Public Catalogue Foundation (access from here)
Environmental Working Group: Access Here
Change.org (access from euzicasa)
Change.org: "The world’s petition platform.
What will you change?"
ALEXA: euzicasa | Share something you learned everyday!
The Smithsonian Encyclopedia of Life (Collection of Sounds)
HAIKU TOPICS (ACCESS HERE)
American Songwriter .com (Access from here)
LAWEEKLY – ACCESS HERE
Lyrics, Song Lyrics – SweetsLyrics.com
WEB GALLERY OF ARTS – ACCESS HERE
THE BRITISH LIBRARY (ACCESS HERE)
THE ARIA DATABASE_SEARCH ( U R 1 CLICK AWAY)
AllMUSIC_Widget (one click away)
WIDGET_Classic Cat: The Free Classical Music Directory (one click away)
Time and Date
SHAKESPEARE NAVIGATOR (A MUST HAVE WIDGET!)
Abandoned: Ghost Towns USA (Access Here)
BIBLIOKLEPT (Where you may find your favorite book)
ENCYCLOPEDIA BRITTANICA (ACCESS HERE)
Public domain: PIXABAY pics, Images (Access here)
The News Manual – A professional resource for journalism and the media
A la découverte de l’encyclopédie Larousse
Greek Orthodox Archdiocese Online chapel
Access HISTORYnet.com (Live The History
CIDRAP CENTER FOR INFECTIOUS DISEASE RESEARCH AND POLICY
Judicial Watch: Access here!
mp3.li: your music library access here (Always opens in a new page)
Nurishedkitchen.com: access here
Access Here: The Metropolitan Museum of Art Releases 400,000 Images Online for Non-Commercial Use
Kunji San Martial Arts Supplies – for your conveniece – Access here
wildlifelens: Access here
NEWS.VA: Offcial Vatican Network:
THE HOLY ROSARY PORTAL: ACCESS HERE
Glycemic Index (The University of Sydney)
Learn the Catechism Here
Access the Public Catalogue Foundation:
Christus Rex et Redemptor Mundi
[caption id="attachment_99163" align="alignnone" width="300"] CIDSE – TOGETHER FOR GLOBAL JUSTICE (CHANGE FOR THE PLANET -CARE FOR THE PROPLE-ACCESS THIS NEW WEBSITE FROM EUZICASA)[/caption]
Tag Archives: Reston virus
|Country||South Africa, United States|
|Media type||Print (paperback and hardback) eBook and audiobook|
|LC Class||RC140.5 .P74 1995b|
The Hot Zone: A Terrifying True Story is a best-selling 1994 non-fiction thriller by Richard Preston about the origins and incidents involving viral hemorrhagic fevers, particularly ebolaviruses and marburgviruses. The basis of the book was Preston’s 1992 New Yorker article “Crisis in the Hot Zone“.
The filoviruses Ebola virus (EBOV), Sudan virus (SUDV), Marburg virus (MARV), and Ravn virus (RAVV) are Biosafety Level 4 agents. Biosafety Level 4 agents are extremely dangerous to humans because they are very infectious, have a high case-fatality rate, and there are no known prophylactics, treatments, or cures. Along with describing the history of the diseases caused by these two Central African diseases, Ebola virus disease (EVD) and Marburg virus disease (MVD), Preston describes a 1989 incident in which a relative of Ebola virus named Reston virus (RESTV), was discovered at a primate quarantine facility in Reston, Virginia, less than fifteen miles (24 km) away from Washington, DC. The virus found at the facility was a mutated form of the original Ebola virus, and was initially mistaken for Simian Hemorrhagic Fever (SHV). The original Reston facility involved in the incident, located at 1946 Isaac Newton Square, was subsequently torn down sometime between 1995 and 1998.
The book is in four sections:
- “The Shadow of Mount Elgon” delves into the history of filoviruses, as well as speculation about the origins of AIDS. Preston accounts the story of “Charles Monet” (a pseudonym), who might have caught MARV from visiting Kitum Cave on Mount Elgon in Kenya. The author describes in great detail the progression of the disease, from the initial headache and backache, to the final stage in which Monet’s internal organs fail and he “bleeds out” (i.e., hemorrhages extensively) in a waiting room in a Nairobi hospital. This part also introduces a young promising physician who becomes infected with MARV while treating Monet. Nancy Jaax’s story is told. Viruses, and biosafety levels and procedures are described. The EVD outbreaks caused by EBOV and its cousin, Sudan virus (SUDV) are mentioned. Preston talks to the man who named Ebola virus.
- “The Monkey House” chronicles the discovery of Reston virus among imported monkeys in Reston, Virginia, and the following actions taken by the U.S. Army and Centers for Disease Control.
- “Smashdown” is more on the Reston epizootic, which involved a strain of the virus that does not affect humans but which easily spreads by air, and is very similar to its cousin the Ebola virus.
- “Kitum Cave” tells of the author’s visiting the cave that is the suspected home of the natural host animal that Ebola lives inside of.
The book starts with “Charles Monet” visiting Kitum Cave during a camping trip to Mount Elgon in Central Africa. Not long after, he begins to suffer from a number of symptoms, including vomiting, diarrhea and red eye. He is soon taken to Nairobi Hospital for treatment, but his condition deteriorates further and he goes into a coma while in the waiting room. This particular filovirus is called Marburg virus.
Dr. Nancy Jaax had been promoted to work in the Level 4 Biosafety containment area at USAMRIID, and is assigned to research Ebola virus. While preparing food for her family at home, she cuts her right hand. Later, while working on a dead, EBOV-infected monkey, one of the gloves on the hand with the open wound tears, and she is almost exposed to contaminated blood, but does not get infected. Nurse Mayinga is also infected by a nun and elects to visit Nairobi Hospital for treatment, where she succumbs to the disease.
In Reston, Virginia, less than fifteen miles (24 km) away from Washington, DC, a company called Hazelton Research once operated a quarantine center for monkeys that were destined for laboratories. In October 1989, when an unusually high number of their monkeys began to die, their veterinarian decided to send some samples to Fort Detrick (USAMRIID) for study. Early during the testing process in biosafety level 3, when one of the flasks appeared to be contaminated with harmless pseudomonas bacterium, two USAMRIID scientists exposed themselves to the virus by wafting the flask. They later determine that, while the virus is terrifyingly lethal to monkeys, humans can be infected with it without any health effects at all. This virus is now known as Reston virus (RESTV).
Finally, the author himself goes into Africa to explore Kitum Cave. On the way, he discusses the role of AIDS in the present, as the highway they were on, sometimes called the “AIDS Highway,” or the “Kinshasa Highway” was where it first appeared. Equipped with a Hazmat suit, he enters the cave and finds a large number of animals, one of which might be the virus carrier. At the conclusion of the book, he travels to the quarantine facility in Reston. The building there was abandoned and deteriorating. He concludes the book by saying EBOV will be back.
In his blurb, horror writer Stephen King called the first chapter, “one of the most horrifying things I’ve read in my whole life.” When asked whether any book “scared the pants off you” television writer Suzanne Collins answered, “The Hot Zone, by Richard Preston. I just read it a few weeks ago. Still recovering.”