Tag Archives: Sexually transmitted disease

Americans with HIV Undertreated


Americans with HIV Undertreated

Only 30 percent of Americans infected with HIV have the virus under control, according to a new report by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Based on statistics from 2011, the report found that the remaining 70 percent failed to achieve “viral suppression” for a number of reasons. Of those individuals, 66 percent were not getting regular care; 20 percent were unaware they were infected; 10 percent were unable to suppress the virus with antiretroviral treatment; and 4 percent were not prescribed antiretroviral drugs. According to the CDC, up to 50,000 people in the US are infected with HIV every year. More… Discuss

Advertisements