A woman walks by the NorthBay VacaValley Hospital in Vacaville, Calif. A VacaValley health worker came in contact with a Solano County woman who was treated at the hospital before she was transferred to UC Davis Medical Center and diagnosed with COVID-19.
Cases of the coronavirus have begun to mount in the United States and are expected to continue to grow in the coming weeks as the virus spreads and testing increases.
“We are facing a historic public health challenge,” said Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases. “We will continue to respond to COVID-19 in an aggressive way to contain and blunt the threat of this virus. While we still hope for the best, we continue to prepare for this virus to become widespread in the United States.”
In California, at least 198 cases have been reported, including four deaths — the most recent of which was announced Wednesday. Gov. Gavin Newsom has declared a state of emergency in response to the outbreak and, on Wednesday, the World Health Organization officially referred to the coronavirus as a pandemic for the first time.
About 24 of the cases in California have been people who caught the virus either on the Diamond Princess cruise ship off Japan or in Wuhan, China, where the outbreak was first reported, and were then repatriated to the U.S. and quarantined at California military bases. The others were returning travelers or, in at least 10 instances, people who contracted the virus in their communities.
A number of cases are tied to another Princess Cruises ship, the Grand Princess, which departed San Francisco on Feb. 11 and sailed to Mexico before returning Feb. 21, dropping off some passengers and then departing for another voyage to Hawaii. The ship docked at the Port of Oakland Monday and began the painstaking process of unloading passengers.
Newsom previously said most of the 962 California residents aboard the ship who did not need immediate medical attention would be taken to Travis Air Force Base for 14 days of quarantine, with a smaller number going to the Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in San Diego County. Up to two dozen passengers will be taken to the Asilomar State Beach and Conference Grounds in Pacific Grove for their quarantine period.
Here is a geographical rundown of the California cases:
Seven cases have been reported so far. The first was a healthcare worker at NorthBay VacaValley Hospital whose diagnosis was announced March 1. The worker came into contact with a Solano County woman who was treated at the hospital before she was transferred to UC Davis Medical Center and diagnosed with COVID-19. The healthcare worker was isolated at home.
The second case, involving a person in Berkeley who visited a country experiencing an outbreak, was reported March 3. That individual has remained at home in a self-imposed quarantine since returning.
The third, reported by the county’s health agency Friday, is an older adult who has underlying medical conditions and was a passenger on the Grand Princess cruise ship from Feb. 11 to Feb. 22.
The city of Alameda confirmed Wednesday that a firefighter had tested positive for the virus.
Of the four new cases confirmed Thursday, two cases are the first reported cases indicative of community-acquired transmission in Alameda County, and the other two cases are linked to confirmed COVID-19 cases.
The county has declared a local emergency and asked residents to cancel or postpone gatherings of more than 250 people.
On Tuesday, public health officials confirmed that two members of a family in Copperopolis tested positive for COVID-19. Their exposure to COVID-19 occurred outside of Calaveras County.
One of the confirmed cases is a child who is enrolled at Copperopolis Elementary School. Public health officials are coordinating with local schools on further actions.
The family has remained isolated at home since this investigation began. Public health workers are identifying people who might have had close personal contact with the family. Close personal contacts identified during this investigation will be quarantined.
“With the discovery of these new cases, we may see additional cases of COVID-19 in the community,” said Dr. Dean Kelaita, Calaveras County health officer.
The county declared a public health emergency Tuesday.
Contra Costa County has reported 17 cases. The first person, who had no known history of travel to a high-risk area or contact with another confirmed case, tested positive March 3, officials said. The test was performed by the county’s public health lab. The patient was being treated at a hospital.
On Friday, officials announced three more patients. Two were passengers on the Grand Princess cruise ship. The third person had close contact with a person who was diagnosed with the coronavirus in another jurisdiction, county health officials said. All three people were being isolated at their homes.
The county is now recommending that adults older than 50 and people with underlying medical conditions that could put them at risk of contracting COVID-19 avoid mass gatherings like parades, sporting events or concerts.
Contra Costa County announced five new cases on Sunday, four of which had no known history of travel outside the U.S. or contact with a confirmed case. The four residents were hospitalized, Contra Costa Health Services said in a news release.
The fifth person had close contact with another person who tested positive for COVID-19 and is isolating at home, officials said.
The county on Saturday confirmed its first case of the new coronavirus, a person who returned from a voyage on the Grand Princess cruise ship on March 6. The person’s family was self-monitoring under the oversight of the Fresno County Department of Public Health, officials said.
As of Thursday, no other cases had been confirmed.
Authorities announced Feb. 19 that a Humboldt County resident who had recently traveled to China had been diagnosed with the coronavirus. The patient, who was voluntarily quarantined at home, has since been cleared and was released from isolation Feb. 28, officials said. A close contact of the individual was released from isolation March 2.
On Wednesday, Dr. Teresa Frankovich, county health officer, declared a local health emergency in anticipation of the outbreak’s impact locally.
“We currently have no confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Humboldt County, but we know that is likely to change soon based on what is happening across the state,” Frankovich said in a statement. “More cases will mean increased demands not just on public health [agencies] but also on our hospitals, clinics, [emergency management] and other agencies and providers that are such a critical part of every community’s response.”
The two cases considered “presumptive positive” were sent to San Diego on Monday, and given inconclusive results, were retested Wednesday. The individuals are a couple with a history of travel to Florida, where COVID-19 is circulating. One of the individuals is recuperating at home while the other is in critical condition at a local facility.
“The positive test results of two Imperial County residents for COVID-19 is an indication that we need to work diligently to prevent the virus from spreading in our community,” Dr. Stephen Munday, the county’s health officer, said in a statement.
There have been 32 confirmed cases and one death — a woman older than 60 who had been visiting the county after extensive travel, including a long layover in South Korea.
Officials said Wednesday that the woman had underlying health issues and died shortly after being hospitalized.
The county’s first patient was a Wuhan, China, resident who was flying through L.A. on Jan. 22 on his way back to China and sought care at Los Angeles International Airport, health officials announced Jan. 26.
The patient was taken directly to a hospital, quarantined for 14 days and released, said L.A. County public health director Barbara Ferrer. More than 50 people who came into contact with the patient, many of whom were health workers, were identified as at risk and were asked to limit contact with others, Ferrer said.
Health officials on March 4 confirmed six additional patients, all of whom they said were exposed to the virus through close contact with others who were infected.
Half of the new cases were travelers who had visited northern Italy, two were family members who had close contact with a person outside of the county who was infected, and the other had a job that put them in contact with travelers, officials said. That person works as a screener at Los Angeles International Airport, according to a source familiar with the case.
L.A. County and city officials declared a state of emergency March 4 in response to the growing case counts.
The next day, officials announced that four more travelers in that same group who visited northern Italy had also tested positive for the virus.
On Friday, officials announced two additional cases — another person in the group of travelers who visited northern Italy, as well as another screener at LAX. Their close contacts were being self-quarantined.
On Saturday, one new case was identified as a resident who had returned from the American Israel Public Affairs Committee conference in Washington, D.C., where there was known exposure to a person infected with the virus.
The county announced two new cases Monday, including its first instance of possible community spread. Both patients are in isolation, and all close contacts are or will be quarantined for 14 days, health officials said.
Officials confirmed another new case Tuesday — a resident who had flown into LAX from Iran and was taken to a medical facility — and six additional cases Wednesday.
Ferrer said that one of the new cases included the county’s second instance of community spread. That individual is hospitalized. Three individuals, one of whom is currently hospitalized, are household contacts of an L.A. County resident previously confirmed to have the virus. One individual had traveled to France and returned home ill and another had traveled to a religious conference in a different state.
Long Beach, which has its own health department, reported its first three cases Monday after preliminary test results indicated two men and one woman had contracted the disease and then a fourth case Wednesday, city officials said.
Elsewhere in the county, a Beverly Hills priest was diagnosed with the coronavirus Wednesday after returning from a trip to St. Louis days prior. In a statement, she told her church members she was “very much on the mend” and had already been through the worst of it.
Public health officials announced the county’s first case on Saturday, a person who recently had returned from a Princess Cruises cruise and was in stable condition. As of Thursday, the county was monitoring 10 people as potential COVID-19 cases.
The county has reported three cases of the coronavirus among residents. The first was a passenger on the Grand Princess cruise ship, where there was an outbreak of the virus. The second two live with the other person, officials said.
The county Department of Health and Human Services has recommended that nonessential indoor gatherings of more than 100 people or outdoor gatherings of 250 people or more be postponed or canceled.
Officials are investigating six cases in Orange County . Public health officials announced Jan. 25 that a returning traveler from Wuhan had tested positive for the virus. The patient was isolated in a hospital and since recovered, officials said.
Officials confirmed two additional cases on March 3: One was a man in his 60s and the other a woman in her 30s. Both had visited countries with widespread transmission, officials said.
On Feb. 26, Orange County declared a local health emergency in response to the coronavirus.
The move was largely in response to a proposal to move coronavirus patients to a facility in Costa Mesa, which sparked a bitter court battle. The federal government has since retreated from the plan.
The county has announced a total of seven cases.
An elderly adult who had tested positive for COVID-19 after returning from a cruise became the first person to die from the virus in California, Placer County Public Health officials announced March 4.
That individual, who officials said had underlying health conditions, was the county’s second confirmed coronavirus patient and had been placed in isolation at Kaiser Permanente Roseville.
A healthcare worker in Placer County was confirmed on March 2 as a presumptive coronavirus case, pending confirmation from the CDC.
The individual, now in isolation at home, is a NorthBay VacaValley Hospital worker who came into close contact with a previously confirmed case in Solano County, before that patient was transferred to another hospital and tested for the virus.
On Friday, Placer County announced three more cases, all of them among people who had traveled on the Grand Princess cruise ship from San Francisco to Mexico.
Two of the people had mild symptoms that already resolved, while the third continued to experience mild symptoms, the Placer County Public Health Department said in a news release. None of them required hospitalization, and all three were isolated at home, officials said.
The department was working on tracing the people’s contacts to identify more possible cases, officials said.
There were seven confirmed cases as of Tuesday, according to the department.
Officials have reported eight coronavirus cases in Riverside County.
The county on Saturday announced its first “locally acquired” case of the virus, a person who was being treated at Eisenhower Health in Rancho Mirage, Riverside University Health System-Public Health said in a statement. Public health officials believe the case is an instance of community transmission.
Riverside County’s public health officer, Dr. Cameron Kaiser, declared a local and public health emergency on Saturday.
Another Riverside County resident who was evacuated from the Diamond Princess cruise ship off Japan and then quarantined at Travis Air Force Base was one of the 20-plus people there who previously tested positive for the virus. That person is continuing to recover in a Northern California hospital and has not returned to Riverside County since leaving the cruise ship, the statement said.
On Monday, county health officials announced three new cases in the Coachella Valley. Two of those individuals were isolated at home and the other went to a local hospital.
Investigators believe those infections were the result of either travel into areas where the coronavirus has been confirmed, or contact with another patient.
The person took precautionary measures during travel and was asymptomatic but had self-quarantined since returning, according to the county public health department.
Last week, Sacramento County announced two more cases, and on Thursday, it declared a local and health emergency.
As of Monday, the county had 10 confirmed cases, including one person who has recovered. Among those who tested positive was an elementary-school-aged student in Elk Grove.
Health officials on Tuesday confirmed the county’s first fatality from COVID-19 — a patient in her 90s. The woman was among about 140 patients at an assisted-living facility in Elk Grove.
Two cases were reported in San Benito County on Feb. 2. A man, 57, who had recently returned from Wuhan became ill and passed the virus on to his wife, also 57. Officials said the couple had not left their home since the husband returned from China. They were not hospitalized and were isolated in their home.
Authorities announced the first case on Feb. 10 and the second two days later. Both patients were hospitalized at San Diego Health System shortly after arriving at the base, officials said.
The first patient was mistakenly discharged from the hospital Feb. 9 and sent back to the base after a mix-up with the test results, but was returned to the hospital the following day for care.
Both patients have since recovered and been released.
County public health officials declared a local emergency on Feb. 14 in response to the virus.
An employee of an AT&T retail store in Chula Vista tested positive for the virus, prompting several stores in the area to be closed for deep cleaning, the company said Thursday in a statement. That employee lived in Orange County, county health officials said.
Health officials announced a presumptive positive case of the coronavirus Monday. A woman in her 50s who had traveled overseas was hospitalized and remains in isolation with serious symptoms, officials said.
The first two were reported on Thursday; the individuals were not related, had no history of travel to a location with confirmed coronavirus infections, and had no known contact with a confirmed case. One was a man in his 90s, hospitalized in serious condition and with underlying health condition; the other was a woman in her 40s, who was hospitalized in fair condition.
Six more were confirmed on Saturday. Each had a known contact with someone found to be infected with the virus.
The San Francisco Department of Emergency Management reported one new case Tuesday, bringing the county’s total to 14. Officials said that patient, who had known contact with another person who tested positive, is hospitalized.
On Wednesday, San Francisco announced a ban on gatherings of more than 1,000 people as the city fights to slow the spread of the disease.
The county has reported six cases of the virus among residents. The first case was reported Tuesday. The person was a passenger on the Grand Princess cruise ship, where an outbreak of the virus was reported. They were hospitalized, officials said.
The county announced Thursday that two additional residents had tested positive for the virus and said Friday that three more positive results were returned. San Joaquin County Public Health Services declared a local public health emergency on Thursday.